Monterey County History Day Judges Registration
Thank you for your interest in being a judge for the 27th annual Monterey County History Day on March 18th at Los Arboles Middle School in Marina. As you may know, History Day is an experience that positively impacts students throughout the Monterey Bay. It helps students further develop their research skills and bolsters their confidence, which ultimately improves their academic success!
Brief Outline of Judging Responsibilities
- Judges are assigned to either Exhibits, Websites, Documentaries, Papers, or Performances (there are very few performances, so performance judges usually must judge a second category as well). Judges work in groups of 2-3 judges and typically (but not always) have a team "Captain" who has had previous History Day judging experience.
- Website, Documentary, and Papers judges must have access to a computer. They will review and do a preliminary judging of student's projects on their own the week PRIOR to the History Day event. The day of the event will consist of interviews, and a quick review of student entries. Judges of these categories typically arrive at the event from 8:30-9:00am. Muffins, bagels, juice, and coffee is served.
- Exhibit judges are not able to view the exhibits until the day of the event and therefore are required to register EARLIER than other categories. Exhibit judges typically must arrive at 7:30am to begin viewing the student entries. Interviews begin at 10:00am.
- The day of the event involves a brief interview with students about their projects. This interview is typically around 5 minutes. Most judges will look at approximately 8 student entries. Larger categories (usually websites and exhibits) then need a finals round judge. These finals judges will look at the top projects selected by the First Round judges, and make the final selections for county winners.
- Judges typically viewing projects or interviewing students until noon. They are then provided a lunch, and while eating lunch need to complete student evaluation forms, and make their selections for County Winners, Finalists, and Honorable Mentions. More details on the judging and interview process is provided at the Judges Orientation (see dates in form below). Judges may leave once they have submitted their judging forms (typically judges are done at 1:00pm unless they have opted to be a Finals Judge. Finals judging takes place from 1:00-2:00pm.
If you are available to be a History Day judge on March 18th, 2017, please complete the form below and submit.
If you're interested in judging but need more information, please contact Joyce Breckenridge at email@example.com.