Expanding Your Horizons
Girls' gateway to science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
5th Annual Expanding Your Horizons Date:
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2017
Registration Opens Wednesday, October 25th, 2017 at 9:00am
Join our Mailing List to be notified of the 2017 EYH Conference.
This day-long event includes hands-on activities in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). At the conference, young women meet female STEM role models and learn more about careers in STEM fields.
When you register to attend the EYH conference, you can choose up to three workshop sessions that sound interesting to you. You'll be assigned to attend two sessions, and we'll try to give you your top choices.
Read the workshop descriptions. Choose the workshops that most interest you. Feel free to select the same workshops as your friends or decide with your friends that you will attend different workshops; then tell each other about your unique experiences after the conference!
Be prepared to be active!!! You'll do some listening, but mostly you'll be engaged in some really fun hands-on activities including robotics, forensics, animal husbandry, marine biology, boat-building, underwater exploration, aeronautics, computer science and energy.
Volunteer to present a Workshop!
- Be the inspiration that encourages young women to explore science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers.
- Motivate girls to become innovative and creative thinkers ready to meet 21st Century challenges.
- Share your passion and enthusiasm for the important work you do with middle and high school girls.
Each workshop session is 75 minutes and will be presented twice. Lunch is included for all presenters.
The maximum number of students allowed to register for each workshop will be 20.
To give you an idea of the type of workshops that will be presented, here are some of the workshops that were offered last year:
- Don't Break the Law! - Material Engineers, Meghan Baronowski and Danielle Ramos, show an example of a fluid that defies Isaac Newton's law of viscosity. Participants will get to play with some ooey, gooey, glop...or is it?!
- Will Pooh Go "SPLAT"? - Mechanical Engineer, Elsa Hennings and Aerospace Engineer, Alyse Dannenberg, lead a workshop involving designing a harness for a large stuffed animal, attaching it to a parachute, and making predictions where it will land, then testing those predictions.
Interested? Please call or email
Rita Bell (EYH program chair)
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Tom Nelson (EYH conference coordinator)
For girls that attended the 2014 EYH Conference and would like to talk further with our Keynote Speaker - Anne Gibbon, you can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
November 19th, 2016 marked our 4th annual EYH Conference! Another great year thanks to Chevron, Hartnell College, Monterey Bay Aquarium, MESA, CTE Grants program, the Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce, and all of our volunteers, parents, and teachers that made this event such a success! If you missed it this year, don't worry, we'll be holding the event again next year! Join our mailing list to be notified when registration opens.