Spanish is the second most widely spoken language in the world. Learning Spanish not only helps you communicate with people locally who may not know English, but also unlocks opportunities professionally and internationally. You can travel a lot of places knowing Spanish! This class provides middle school aged students with little or no prior knowledge of Spanish with the elementary skills, grammar, and vocabulary necessary to read, speak and write in Spanish at a basic level. Students will be given tools and materials that they can use to continue practicing at home each week. It's important to remember that learning a language is a lifelong journey, but that a small class setting can be a great place to start developing those language skills.
The topics that we will cover include:
- Introducing and describing yourself, your family, and other places, people, and things
- Expressing your likes and dislikes, your needs, and your feelings
- Obtaining and giving directions and other information like the time
- Commonly-used expressions and phrases
- Holidays (Halloween and Thanksgiving)
It is recommended that while students are enrolled in this class, that they dedicate at least one or two hours of additional study time at home to reviewing the material and doing the homework assignments.
Ages: 10 - 14
Dates: 10 Thursdays, 10/5, 10/12, 10/19, 10/26, 11/2, 11/9, 11/16, 11/30, 12/7, 12/14
Hours: 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Instructor: Ellen Olack
Class Size: Limited to 8 Students